Exactly a year ago, I have posted my own list of “top VoIP blogs”. Or more to the point – blogs that I follow in order to make sure I am in my element when it comes to work related issues.
The reasons for publishing this list haven’t changed much. These are the ones I mentioned last year:
- Next time people ask me “what blogs that you are reading, might interest me”, I’ll be able to refer them to this post instead of exporting my reading list yet again.
- Bloggers that I am reading will now know about it (assuming they did their homework and are following Google alerts regarding their own blogs). It might even lure them to check out my blog once in a while and comment here and there – always a good thing.
- If you have a VoIP blog that isn’t on this list – speak up! I am more than interested in reading what’s out there in my industry, so a bit of help in finding more blogs would be appreciated.
I haven’t used any specific order, so stuff on the list below is as chaotic as it comes and not sorted by importance or anything. I did take the time group them into clusters of interest for you.
And here they are:
- IMTC – The IMTC deals with interoperability, with focus on multimedia (and video). Though the blog isn’t that active, it has some good stuff once in a while on it.
- ITU-T – not really a blog, but rather a news log of stuff happening in the ITU-T organization.
- XMPP – (new) Deals with XMPP adoption and standardization.
- TalkStandards – (new) not a real organization, but rather a blog that covers standardization processes.
The ones that got off this list are HD Connect Now, which is… well… dead. And I do wish other organizations had blogs – it would be so much easier to follow them this way.
Technology in General
- GigaOm – I guess GigaOm doesn’t require an introduction. It covers a wide variety of tech news. It also has a great service called GigaOm Pro which I highly recommend and it now covers a lot of video calling related topics as well.
- I, Cringely – Robert X. Cringely covers a wide variety of tech news, with his own unique voice and insights. A great read, which at times falls into the area of communication and networking.
- FierceVoIP – This one allows me to find out if I missed anything around the blogosphere. They provide highlights on VoIP related news.
- Wainhouse Research Visual Communications Blog – (new) One of the most important research firm dealing with video conferencing and collaboration.
- TelBitConsulting – Covers reviews of technology and products, with a lot of focus on the video conferencing market.
- Videoconference Tips & Techniques – Carol Skyring discussing video conferencing issues. Great for those new to visual communications.
- Conferencing Advisors – (new) Video conferencing system integrators with an interesting blog.
- VisionMobile – Doing a great job at analyzing many aspects of the mobile market, especially from a developers point of view. A lot of their stuff is valid for other markets as well. I had the honor to guest post there once already.
- IntoMobile – I view IntoMobile as a news outlet, where anything and everything related to mobile can be found. A lot of content, where almost everyone can find something interesting.
- 3G and 4G Wireless Blog – Covers the technology and standardization of mobile networks in depth.
- Always On Real-Time Access – Chetan Shamra’s blog with an eye on the US mobile market.
- Mobile Opportunity – Michael Mace’s blog which has relatively long posts, where each one is a real gem.
- Open Gardens – Ajit Jaokar’s mobility blog. A good read.
- WirelessMoves – Martin Sauter’s excellent blog on mobile networks. A recommended reading.
- Telco 2.0 – While dealing with telecommunications, they cover mobile most of the time.
- The PhoneBoy Blog – Dameon D. Welch-Abernathy moved recently from Nokia to Checkpoint. It didn’t stop him from writing passionately about mobile handsets.
- Wireless Wanders – Paul Golding’s blog about the mobile industry and its future. A great resource for me.
- Dean Bubley’s Disruptive Wireless – (new) I found Dean’s blog this year and I must say almost every post on his blog is a gem.
- TMCnet blogs – A large blog network with a large variety of blogs. I am following around 12 of them at the moment.
- VON Blogs – Similar to TMCnet, VON, which was once the main hub for VoIP, now hosts a varied number of bloggers from the VoIP industry.
- No Jitter –One of the most focused blog networks on the VoIP industry with high quality information. I write there from time to time.
- Enterprise 2.0 blog – (new) Deals with social tools and technologies for the enterprise (=collaboration).
- FreedomIQ blog – these guys provide hosted VoIP solutions and cover it nicely on their blog.
- CompareBusinessProducts.com – These guys are new in the blogging neighborhood. Their initial content is good, so I am waiting for more from them.
- Voxeo Blogs – Voxeo has a number of high quality blogs that I can highly recommend.
- The Seamless Enterprise – Sprint’s blog. A new read for me, so nothing to say yet.
- VoIP Insider – VoIP Supply’s blog which provides high quality VoIP related content.
- iNum – (new) Voxbone’s blog related to their iNum service – something I plan on learning in more detail in the coming months.
- SIP Sessions – (new) Tekelec’s useful VoIP about real-world SIP standardization
Note: this year GIPS can probably be removed as it gets assimilated into Google. They do post there once in a month or two, but nothing that requires following.
- Alec Saunders SquawkBox – Alec Saunders blog has been around for several years now. It has now moved as part of calliflower’s blogs.
- Considering Convergence – A “top blogs post” referred me to this one, so I’ll be reading it from now on as well. Don’t have an opinion on it yet.
- Disruptive Telephony – Dan York, who blogs in multiple places blogs here as well. Well worth the read.
- Graves On SOHO VoIP – Michael Graves discusses a lot about IP phones and other end user products related to VoIP.
- Irwin Lazar’s “Real-Time” Blog – One of the latest “acquisitions” in my reading list. Don’t have an opinion yet, though I do read Irwin’s posts on No Jitter.
- Jon Arnold’s Analyst 2.0 blog – An independent analyst who covers the VoIP industry.
- Latest Geek Stuff – Ravi Shankar offers his views on VoIP and IMS, which now covers additional geeky topics. Usually interesting and varied content.
- LucaFiligheddu.com – A dear virtual friend of mine who blogs about social media and VoIP. A great read in each post.
- Nerd Vittles – Ward Mundy’s blog, which focus on Asterisk.
- Pin Drop Soup – Dave Michels blog, which is full of insights.
- The Jeff Pulver Blog – THE industry veteran. Focuses on social media and HD Voice these days.
- Smith on VoIP – Garrett Smith’s blog should be mandatory reading for those interested in VoIP.
- Telephony Unfiltered – New blog I started reading due to another “top blogs post”. Don’t know what it’s worth yet.
- The VoIP Weblog – Varied content on the VoIP industry.
- Unified Communications Strategies Blog – As the name says, focus is on Unified Communications.
- usken.no – VoIP news! – Sjur Usken’s VoIP blog. Another new blog I started reading recently.
- Voice of VOIPSA – Ruben Olsen’s blog which is focused on VoIP security. Important read for implementers.
- Voice On The Web – Jim Courtney’s blog focusing on Skype.
- VOIP IP Telephony – Another good source of VoIP news and information.
- VoIP Monitor – Does a great job of covering press releases and news of the VoIP industry.
- VoIP User – Good coverage of what goes on in the VoIP market.
- VoIP Watch – Andy Abramson’s blog on VoIP. A great source of a large number of my own posts. I love his way of thinking.
- Mark Collier’s VoIP Security Blog – As the name suggest, this blog is focused on security issues in VoIP.
- Disruptive Telephony – (new) Dan York’s personal blog about VoIP. A good read.
- one small voice – (new) Peter Saint-Andre’s blog about XMPP.
- Signal to Noise – (new) Ted Wallingford’s related to VoIP and mobile. A recent catch for me.
- Unbound Spiral – (new) Stuart Henshall’s blog with a lot of VoIP related posts.
- Voyces – (new) A new blog of seven communication experts (you will find their personal blogs in this list as well).
- VoIP Evolution – (new) Robert Poe’s blog about voice and video communication.
- Larry Lisser – (new) A VoIP blog that leans towards monetization issues.
Note: from this list, IP Communications and Beyond and Solomon’s VoIP World blog have been removed as they stopped writing.
Low traffic VoIP Blogs
- Aswath Weblog – Aswath Rao blogs once in a while, but when he does it usually is interesting.
- iConverged – a blog operated by Arjun Roychowdhury and Sunil Veluvali dealing with VoIP and IMS. Has some interesting content at times.
- Michael’s Minute – it’s not that Michael’s blog is of low traffic (a post once in two weeks), but the VoIP parts of it are lower than the number of posts.
- VoIP Tech Chat – VoIP and Asterisk blog. I’m a bit new to it, but their recent content is good.
- VoIP & Telecom Blog – A VoIP blog with relatively long posts that cover VoIP business news.
- VoIP Central – VoIP related news blog.
- Paketstan – (new) A blog that I found recently that deals with analysis of IP communications.
Note: from this list, The IMS Lantern was removed due to low or no new posts.